Monday, October 10, 2011

How About Some Caramel Apple Pancakes??

So my neighbor told me about some apple pancakes that were made on one of the television food shows recently.  She knows I am on the lookout for different breakfast recipes.  I decided to try my own version so here it is....and they were so so good!

I started out making the batter.  I didn't take pictures making the batter or the syrup, but you will see the pictures of the fnished products in the pictures below. Also, the recipe for the batter includes freshly ground wheat flour, which is all I use, but white flour can be substituted.

Here is the recipe:

Caramel Apple Pancakes
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon oil
1 egg
3/4 cup buttermilk
6 apples (I used Golden Delicious)

Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl.  Add honey, oil, egg and buttermilk.  Whisk until smooth. 

Caramel Sauce: 
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine buttermilk, sugar, butter and cornsyrup in large saucepan and bring to boil.  Boil for 2 minutes.  Stir in soda and vanilla.  Soda will make the mixture foam up so make sure you use a large enough pan to avoid it bubbling over the edges. 


Cut apples in 1/4 inch slices. 

   If you have an apple corer, remove core before slicing.  I didn't have one so I used a cake decorate tip to cut out the center.  (An apple corer would have been much easier).
 Dip apples in batter and place on hot griddle sprayed with cooking spray. Cook until bubbles form around edges and turn and cook on other side.


                                           Serve with Caramel Sauce and enjoy!  Yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment